Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hard Work & Good Fruit

I'm sitting here this morning with sore muscles. We have spent the past 3 days preparing our building for new carpeting - completing painting projects, pulling staples and tack strips from the floor, etc. We have more to do, but have been really blessed with the friends who have joined with us in the effort, and I have observed several things from the experience.

First, friends are awesome. Friends you didn't even know you had, even better!

Second, those who embrace the camaraderie of such efforts seem happier than those who don't. These people have jobs and lives outside of what we are doing at the building, yet they are there, smiling, laughing, enjoying being a part of what is changing. Of course, we all can have days when work just seems like work, but how much more satisfying to enjoy what you are doing, and what a blessing to enjoy those you are working with! I had some great conversations with people while I worked, and got to pray for some as well.

Third, children are able to work hard, and they can do so with enjoyment! I watched 5 children, ages 9-14 spend the last few days doing hard, tedious, necessary work, and they found the joy in it. Let us be like little children.

Fourth, my husband rocks.

Fifth, I learned a little bit more about why I am working this hard. When our leadership said "Yes, this is the way we will go" in January, when they gave their commitment to the vision we are running in, I bought in wholeheartedly, and I'm not looking back. I see something that goes beyond the "reality" around me. I see the future, I have expectancy, I see ahead to what God is doing. When we started the renovations on our building, I gave myself to it because I believe what God has said and I am committed to be here for the long haul - and the changes need to be done.

Sixth, my husband rocks. Did I say that already?

I gotta get ready to go - the carpet installers come today....the fruit of our labor is coming. First the natural, then the spiritual....

1 comment:

  1. Working w/ others always is better than alone.
    I was thinking about Nehimiah and all the families that worked on restoring the wall. There had to be kids involved. How wonderful to look back at the end of the day and see what is accomplished.

    I am believing that your leadership has prepared and planned for a firm foundation, and having done that you will see the walls of your "house" go up, encompassing people who are seeking refuge from the situations they find themselves in. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete